Brunch seems to be the new normal at the moment in lockdown, and I’m loving it! Slow days are something I’ve dreamed of.
I had these delicious tasty potatoes on my first trip to New York, some 25 years ago. All the delis and cafes served them with whatever eggs you desire. They are a win-win potato dish. I asked the guys what was in them and have made them ever since.
So, the recipe is just what I worked out from what I was tasting, and as with most things I put up, you can add whatever you wish, either to the dish or on the side, such as bacon, roasted tomatoes or chorizo, to name but a few.
Recipe for 2 people
- 500g floury potatoes peeled washed and diced into 1cm cubes
- 25g butter
- A little cooking oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- Red pepper diced
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 1 heaped desert spoons of smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper.
- A few sprigs of parsley.
Set the oven to 180 degrees C or gas 4
- Peel, wash and dice the potatoes into 1cm cubes
- Dice the onion and pepper.
- on a medium heat in a roasting dish or frying pan (one you can use in the oven — mine is a low, thick bottomed 25cm x 6cm pan) add a little oil and fry the onion until golden-brown. Keep them moving with a wooden spoon or spatula.
- Add the butter, minced garlic and potatoes and continue to fry on a medium heat until the potatoes start to go slightly translucent and pick up colour. Again, keep them moving. You want them to colour all over.
- Turn the heat down low and add the peppers and the smoked paprika. You may need to add a little more butter. If they are catching you could turn the heat down very low and add a little water. It depends on how ‘floury’ the potatoes are. Keep them moving and ensure all the potatoes are coated in the lovely red paprika.
- Season with salt and pepper, and put in the oven on a middle shelf for a further 15 to 20 minutes.
- Test one to check they are cooked through properly.
- Add a little parsley for colour before serving. Not essential.
While they are roasting you will have plenty of time to make any eggs or accompaniment you wish.